Saturday, June 13, 2009

How could someone have gotten my email password?

I use a public computer in my building. They changed the computers recently and got new ones. I don't know what happened to the old ones.





I realized today that my email address and my password were coming in automatically. It may have been coming in like that for a while. There are some people that use this room that I don't quite get along with or like.\





How could this have happened? I never check the "remember my password" checkbox on the computer.

How could someone have gotten my email password?
As its a public computer, i would make a good guess that it has spyware on it, do you know if the computer had anti-virus protection on it? (norton, zonealarm or avg are some examples) or perhaps these people that you don't get on with installed a key-logger on it?





I suggest getting some anti-virus software and running a scan to remove it.
Reply:Just because you don't say remember me, doesn't mean the browser doesn't remember you. That option is typically specific to a website, but modern browsers have the ability to store site specific usernames/passwords.





First, change your password. I would then suggest getting a USB drive and installing Firefox Portable on it. That way, you should be safe retaining your passwords, as all the files for Firefox Portable are contained on the USB drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment